Monday, November 25, 2013

Captain's bLog: 1125.13

It's been a long time since I've posted anything here - over a month, in fact - and this is the first post I've made in November... and that's nearly over. I even missed marking Space: 1970's fourth anniversary on the 1st. Really rather embarrassed about that.

I have no good excuse. November's just been a bad month for me overall, writing-wise, and this site has suffered from that unfortunate (and frustrating) motivational drought along with all my other writing projects.

But that doesn't entirely account for the reduced posting here since the Summer. I've kinda been feeling like it's getting harder to find cool images to post, and the more involved articles - essays, film and DVD reviews, "Fave Episodes," "Fave Fives," "Hall of Fame," etc . - well, it's always been difficult for me to make the time to really do them up properly. And that's always been frustrating, because, for me, anyway, those are the most personal and satisfying posts to write.

Another factor in my Space: 1970 ennui is that due to recent changes in my state's tax laws, I no longer receive any kickbacks from Amazon's affiliate program. Don't get me wrong - this site was never about making money, and it never amounted to much anyway, but the couple hundred bucks a year at least helped me justify to myself the time and effort I put into Space: 1970, and it did allow me to buy more cool 70s sci-fi stuff (videos, books) for my collection. (I do still have the Paypal button over in the right-hand sidebar, but nobody's donated anything in over a year.)

Now, I know this all sounds pretty grim, but I'm not about to abandon this blog. My passion for disco-era sci-fi (and sci-fi disco, for that matter) hasn't diminished one iota. I'm just going through an extended  low-energy phase (or as they're referred to around here, a "funk"), and with a little luck, I'll be back up to speed soon. In the meantime, I'll try to scrape up a few more interesting photos over the next few weeks so the site doesn't go completely fallow. I appreciate your patience.

  I did pick up the Hanna-Barbara series Space Stars on DVD from Warner Archive, and will try to post a review here soon. I will say now that the transfers are surprisingly good, and Warners has included some fun additional content that was not included in their original network airings. If you're a fan, it's a great package.

In upcoming video releases, I'm definitely still looking forward to the imminent release of 1980's Stanley Donen sci-fi gothic, Saturn 3, on Blu-ray from Shout! Factory, which goes on sale on December 3rd.

I'm somewhat less excited about Sony's new manufactured-on-demand Salvage 1discs - I'm deeply annoyed that the studio has chosen to release only a couple of random episodes on standalone (expensive) discs, rather than assemble a complete series package. Also, my interest in the show diminished after the moonshot pilot, so I have little incentive to pick up these releases. If you're interested, TV Shows On DVD has the release info and packaging pics.

Friend of the blog/Star Kid Paul Quinn recently sent me some cool stuff - all but one of the Beyond Westworld episodes and the 1983 Roger Corman flick Space Raiders, along with a complete run of Starlog magazine on DVD-ROM. This kind of "audience participation" certainly helps motivate me to keep plugging away at Space: 1970, and I wanted to publicly thank him for his generosity.

Finally, I'm still working on my sci-fi adventure webcomic, Perils On Planet X, which is illustrated by the talented Gene Gonzales, and colored by the equally-talented Ian Sokoliwski. It runs a page a week, with a new one posted every Friday, and it's absolutely free. We're about halfway through the second chapter now, and the story is moving along like a rocket, packed with Flash Gordon-styled pulp thrills. I hope you'll check it out, if you haven't already.

17 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the Salvage-1 debacle. Even if Warner Archive didn't want to release the whole series at this time, why do single releases of the later TV movies but not the pilot? That's the one most people probably remember anyhow. I don't understand the thinking, especially since they've already done this so properly with the Man from Atlantis. Unless it's some kind of rights issue, maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because Salvage 1 is a Sony title, not a Warners one. The Sony discs sell through the WB shop, but they're a completely different company - one that - unlike Warner Archive) has so far shown very little competence in their MOD strategies.

      Delete
    2. Ah, I see. Didn't realize Sony was involved...

      Delete
  2. I have been in the same boat a number of times over the life of my own blog, Barking Alien.

    My love and enthusiasm for the subjects I cover has never waned but my personal free time and energy level has greatly effected my desire to talk about it through my fingers on a regular basis.

    That said, I don't see it as a race or a contest, I don't complete with other sites in any way as I am not making money at this; I blog because I enjoy writing, I enjoy the subjects I write about and every once in a blue moon, I think I have something to say that is interesting or clever enough that someone else might think it's interesting and clever and would be entertained if I shared.

    I don't comment here often but I come to this site all the time. I find it very intriguing and inspiring. As a table top RPG fan who leans a lot more towards Science Fiction and Superheroes than I do Fantasy, this site is often an unexpected if indirect source of ideas that I might not have thought about otherwise.

    Keep it going and more power to you for doing so.

    PS: Did you ever cover Far Out Space Nuts or Lost Saucer in detail? Were we just talking about this? It came up over on my blog and I could have sworn you mentioned something about this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've written about Far out Space Nuts HERE.

      Haven't written about The Lost Saucer... yet.

      Delete
  3. "...My passion for disco-era sci-fi (and sci-fi disco, for that matter) hasn't diminished one iota..."

    Dude, I love you even more now that I know I'm not the only person that calls it that! I reach you, Brother, though I also reach Early 80's New Wave Sci-Fi, especially "Space Raiders", which my buddy Baxter and I were JUST talking about a few days ago. Have a bit of apple with that delicious cheese!

    Do whatever you need to do in order to keep this wonderful site going. If fewer posts means less stress for you, then so be it; quality beats quantity, take it from a stoner. Just don't abandon us completely, like Cultqueens.com did; that guy, where am I supposed to get my naked sci-fi celebrity chick pics now? You quit this thing, I'll track you down and give you a Cockney/Klingon-style headbutt; the Cultqueens guy better take to wearing a helmet. I MISS MY DAILY SPACE BOOBS.

    Your Pal,

    Storm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christopher, I was starting to get worried about you, so we're all glad that you're back. I was hoping that it wasn't anything serious. Whew! We appreciate your efforts on this blog and in your other endeavors. I think everyone realizes that you're a busy guy and this isn't your paying gig. Update when you can -- we'll always be back to read your great commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back!
    Happy 4th!
    Keep on with the comic (please)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome :) and welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! This is one of the greatest blogs on the internet, and I appreciate all the time and effort you put into updating it. Your fans need you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! This is one of the greatest blogs on the internet, and I appreciate all the time and effort you put into updating it. Your fans need you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a relatively new reader here. I really enjoy your blog, and I hope you find the energy to keep it going. Made a small donation, in hope of lifting your spirits. :) Keep up the good work! Thanks from Denmark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first time commenting on your blog... I think. But I've been a casual fan for a year or so. Great stuff!

    I haven't seen Space Raiders since I was a kid, but remember if fondly. Know when it's coming to DVD? Bought Space Stars for my almost 3 year old daughter. She's not that into it... yet. But I enjoy seeing all that stuff again. A couple of interesting Hurculoid and Space Ghost episodes.

    I'll be getting Saturn 3 soon. If I remember correctly, nothing astonishing or adventurous happens during the film, but it's got some cool atmosphere and such.

    Barking Alien above mentioned paper & pencil, tabletop roleplaying games. Have you ever played?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I've heard nothing at all about Space Raiders coming to DVD, nor am I sure who has the rights to Roger Corman's Concorde/New Horizon library these days. It used to be Shout! Factory, but I believe that arrangement has expired.

      I used to play a lot of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and other tabletop RPGs in High School and college, but have only broken out the dice intermittently in recent years.

      Delete
    2. Have you ever played Starfleet Battles? Seems like that would be right up your alley.

      Delete