Wednesday, November 12, 2014

November's Space Babe: Eddie Benton

Our latest Space Babe is Eddie Benton (a/k/a Anne-Marie Martin), who starred in the 1979 Canadian-made space opera, The Shape Of Things To Come, as the resourceful roboticist Kim. She also memorably guest starred in the first season Buck Rogers In the 25th Century episode, "Twiki is Missing!" as a telekinetic troubleshooter named Stella.

Born as Edmonda Benton in Ontario in 1957, the comely actress with astoundingly sexy legs appeared in a number of TV shows and films of interest to Space: 1970 fans during the late 70s and early 80s, including guest roles on Wonder Woman and The Powers Of Matthew Star. In 1978, she played Clea in the Dr. Strange TV movie. Apparently, she was one of the many young actresses that auditioned for the role of Princess Leia in Star Wars, too. In '81, she changed her name to Anne-Marie Martin, and retired from acting only a few years later.

From  1987 to 2002, she was married to best-selling novelist (and Westworld creator) Michael Crichton. When the couple split up, she reportedly received a 31 million dollar settlement. Needless to say, she now lives a life of leisure, devoting much of her time to keeping and riding horses.

6 comments:

  1. Don't forget Detective Dori Doreau from Sledge Hammer! One of my favorite shows.

    But I realize that doesn't fall under the Space 1970 category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sledge Hammer! but you correctly noted why I didn't mention it in the post. I do try to stay on-topic. :)

      Delete
  2. As SLEDGE HAMMER! was shooting into 1988, would it be more accurate to say she retired from acting "at the end of the eighties" (or later) rather than "only a few years later" which, to my literal mind, implies 1983-85.

    Funnily enough, it took me ages to realize this was one-and-the-same actress. I'd see her in various productions (like the DOCTOR STRANGE TVM or PROM NIGHT) and note the uncanny similarity with Detective Doreau but, after scanning the credits, conclude it MUST be a different actress.

    Great actress. Great post. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a similar experience but in reverse. I knew that must be her from seeing Sledge Hammer and then Twiki is missing after, but I couldn't find her name in the credits anywhere.

      Delete
  3. She had a small part in Michael Crichton's "Runaway" 1984 (IMDB Hooker at Bar) I wonder if they met on that film. I remember that Buck Rogers and really enjoyed Sledgehammer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I hope they didn't meet before then. If I was a director and cast my girlfriend as "Hooker at Bar" that pretty much would have been it for that relationship.

    ReplyDelete