Friday, April 29, 2016

News: THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME (1979) Coming to Blu-ray this Summer

On August 30th, video label Blue Underground will be releasing director George McCowan's 1979 Canadian space opera, The Shape Of Things To Come on Blu-ray disc.

Although frequently cited as among the worst of the 70s Star Wars rip-offs, I have admitted here on this site more than once a certain fondness for the low budget interstellar "epic," and I am looking forward to having a high definition edition on my shelves next to Battle Beyond The Stars and Starcrash.

Yeah, it's a pretty dumb movie, but I find it kinda charming in its low budget ineptitude. I like the cast, which includes Space: 1999's Barry Morse, and Buck Rogers veterans Jack Palance and Eddie Benton (a/k/a Anne-Marie Martin) and I also enjoy the miniature effects, which are surprisingly decent for such a cheap production.

The Shape Of Things To Come Blu-ray can be pre-ordered now through online retailers such as Amazon.

7 comments:

  1. Is that artwork by Gray Morrow?

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from jumping on the all-things "Star Wars" bandwagon, does anyone know why the story has no resemblance to H.G. Wells' book?

    Just curious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you have the reason already. Some of the character names are the same, though -- i.e. "John Cabal/l."

      Delete
  3. This one gets my vote for the most NON-threatening robots ever in a movie. I mean, the actors literally have to run AT them in order to get grabbed and killed. I do love that cover artwork, tho. Personally, I hate when companies use Photoshopped crap on DVD covers for older movies, trying to make stuff like Silent Running and The Black Hole (to name but two) look more up-to-date. Anyone who purchases movies like these, including The Shape of Things to Come, probably knows what they're getting anyway, and would more appreciate the nostalgic aspect of seeing the vintage ad art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really surprised that it found its way to Blu-Ray

    ReplyDelete