Friday, January 27, 2017

VULCAN! (1978) Cover Art By Bob Larkin

I remember receiving a copy of Kathleen Sky's original Star Trek novel, Vulcan!, in my Christmas stocking in 1978. I spent the rest of that holiday afternoon at my grandmother's house ignoring my relatives, reading it.

I haven't revisited it in decades (though I still have my original copy), so I can only barely recall the plot. I've since learned that it was based on a spec script the author had submitted to the Trek offices during the Original Series' third year. Supposedly, Roddenberry liked it, but as the show was canceled without a fourth season, the script was never produced. A decade later, she adapted it into a novel for Bantam Books.

I may not remember the story very well, but I never forgot the striking cover art. Here's a scan of the original cover painting by the masterful Bob Larkin, found online.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember that one. Not one of the best of the paperbacks, but in 1978 there wasn't a lot yet out there. I seem to recall that the hot brunette scientist didn't like Vulcans, for whatever reason; I think it was a love affair gone south or something like that. Yes, the cover art is fantastic; it owes a lot to the old sci-fi magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work. I have an old copy of the book but I've never gotten around to reading it. Larkin also did the cover for a paperback reprint of the first few issues of Marvel's TMP-era Star Trek comic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put them both in Vault 101 jumpsuits (the outfit color is already correct) and viola - you have Fallout artwork! I fought those ants...wish I had a phaser then instead of a rusty rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that can't be vulcan, it has moons. :)

    ReplyDelete