Friday, February 3, 2012

SFTV Color Poster Books

Remember these? Poster magazines were another distinctly 70s piece of memorabilia. These were basically one huge sheet of paper, one side of which was a giant poster, while on the other side, articles and photographs were printed. Then, the whole thing was folded up into 8 1/2" x 11" magazine size. These magazines were cool and all, but once you tacked it up on your wall, it was a bit difficult to go back and re-read the articles.

I had several issues of the Star Trek Poster Magazine that was published in the 70s, and also a couple of the movie/TV tie-in poster mags (Salvage 1, Moonraker and CE3K) that were published during the Space: 1970 era. I also had this one, the SFTV Color Poster Book, published by the Starlog Group. As far as I know, only this one issue appeared. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have it any longer....

ADDENDUM: Apparently these kinds of mags were published well into the 80s - my wife just showed me a few celebrity-type poster mags that she bought in the 80s. One of them was also from Starlog Press, so I guess they just kept cranking them out....

ADDENDUM 2: It turns out that there were, indeed, at least two issues of this poster mag. Courtesy of Space: 1970 Facebook Fan Scott Weller, here's the cover to the second issue of the SFTV Poster Book:

Cool! Thanks, Scott!

12 comments:

  1. For all of its sometimes silliness, 70s sf was quite terrific in its own way. I miss it -- and the era, to boot! Please keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used to have this poster (and a lot of other poster magazines). It's hard to see here, but isn't that "Project U.F.O." ship made out of a Millennium Falcon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing either that poster magazine or else an actual magazine that had pics of the Project UFO ships, and either that one or one like it was covered with pieces from the Space: 1999 Moonbase Alpha model kit.

    I have three CE3K poster mags, two from Alien and many years later, managed to get from someone the first dozen of the Star Trek ones.

    Poster mags were neat, and I miss them as a media format.

    CR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several years ago, a pen pal from England sent me an Escape From New York Poster Book. Our cousins across the pond always did respect the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had loads of poster magazines. 'Star Trek TMP' and the 3 original 'Star Wars' movies mainly. They were never my favourite format though. The paper was pretty flimsy and they always seemed to tear. I still had to have them though

    ReplyDelete
  6. They did another issue of SFTV-one with a gleaming Cylon on it. I have it somewhere in my archive...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone know how many they did for the original 'Star Wars' movie? I'm sure I had at least 4 issues. I'm pretty sure I had one for 'The Black Hole' too. Don't think I've imagined it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apparently, there was a third issue as well:

    http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=73267983073&snumber=1

    ReplyDelete
  9. There were an astounding eighteen issues of the Official Star Wars Poster Monthly published between 1977 and 1979. Paradise Press also did three issues for Close Encounters, four for Battlestar Galactica, one for Buck Rogers, one for Star Trek The Motion Picture, one for The Black Hole, five for The Empire Strikes Back and three for Return of the Jedi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yeah...and two for Alien.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ... and an astounding seventeen issues of the Star Trek Giant Poster Book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I own both of these. There will never be another publication as cool as Starlog was back in the 70's.

    ReplyDelete