Tuesday, July 16, 2013

DARK STAR (1974) Novelization By Alan Dean Foster

First, a confession: I have this book somewhere in my collection, but I don't believe I've ever read it. That said, I'm glad I own a copy (and will read it, one of these days), because I just love the fact that 70s sci-fi superscribe Alan Dean Foster not only penned the novelizations of the screenplays to Star Wars, Alien, The Black Hole and a bunch of Star Trek animated episodes, but the offbeat, satirical Dark Star, too! (Oddly, the British posters for the movie actually credit Foster for the film story, which of course, was written by John Carpenter & Dan O'Bannon...)

The prolific science fiction author Foster actually appeared on VCI Entertainment's special "Hyperdrive" edition DVD  in an interview segment (also included with the more recent Blu-ray version) where he discusses how he came to write the novel and his thoughts on the film that inspired it. Over the course of the segment, he also discusses his career, specifically how he came to become the "go-to guy" for genre film tie-in paperbacks.

4 comments:

  1. I have this book as well, although with a different cover (mine has a spacesuited Doolittle catching his final wave as he "surfs" into the atmosphere on a piece of wreckage). I haven't read it in years, but as I recall, it's a pretty straightforward take on the material, i.e., it takes the story seriously, as more of a tragedy about these poor crazy astronauts than a comedy. But they may be just the way I'm remembering it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read and enjoyed this book in middle school, in the edition Jason has. As that was over 30 years ago (15 years in Mars years, that sounds better), the details have faded, but I do remember it making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One does kind of wonder what kind of literary gymnastics Foster had to perform to stretch the story to novel length. The movie (which was itself extended from a short, if memory serves) is not exactly well-paced or action-packed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a huge Dark Star fan I purchased this book (alternate cover) and was surprised to find how ADF was able to draw out the story and still hold the readers attention. Lots of interesting stuff concerning the relationship of the astronauts the government and the scene back home and such. Other details such as the Dark Star's computer being supplied by Israel seem almost prescient today even though this was written in the mid 70's. Terrific fun summer book to take to the beach or on a plane.

    ReplyDelete