Monday, July 10, 2017

SPACE ACADEMY (1977) TV Guide Article

I have very distinct memories of seeing this TV Guide photo spread back in '77, showcasing the (still) impressive miniature location of Filmation's kidvid classic, Space Academy, and marveling at all the tiny details.

Even today, I remain impressed at the quality of the studio's in-house effects work, which, in my opinion, rivaled that of Space: 1999 and Battlestar Galactica, on a fraction of the budget. (I'm pretty sure that producer Lou Scheimer was inflating the numbers a bit in the article.)

3 comments:

  1. I think a couple of ILM guys worked on the miniatures for the show, just as "Star Wars" was wrapping up.

    ReplyDelete


  2. As a boy back in '70s, I wished they had merchandised model kits of the SPACE ACADEMY[Star Command], SEEKER and Jason Of Star Command's STARFIRE.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really struck by the juxtaposition of some of the best model work I'd ever seen and the fact that in a lot of the space scenes, you can see the curtain rod that's holding "space" up.

    ReplyDelete