Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Captain's bLog 0208.11

•  As mentioned in my last Captain's bLog entry, I've been out straight with freelance writing commitments for the last few months. So, for a while, anyway, you're likely to see a lot more image-centric posts here at Space: 1970, at least until I clear some stuff off my desk and have time to write (and finish writing) some more substantive posts for this site (including the long-teased Omega Man and Space: 1999 "War Games" articles). I usually feel like posting just pictures or videos is a bit of a "cheat," but the truth is, I generally get as many - or more - comments/feedback on those posts as the ones that I labor over for hours....

•  A couple weeks ago, I went ahead and ordered a copy of the Hunter Prey DVD from an online retailer, and in the same order, I purchased a copy of the 1969, Gerry/Sylvia Anderson-produced feature, Journey To The Far Side of The Sun (a/k/a Doppelganger). Hopefully, they'll get here this week.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I've never seen Journey - a serious oversight for the proprietor of a blog like this one - but I've wanted to for a long time. Aside from the Anderson connection and the associated fine miniature effects & FAB production design, I'm a big fan of star Roy Thinnes, so I'm eager to finally sit down and watch the film.

•  I also picked up the Rollerball DVD the other night, used, for about $5. Unlike Journey, this movie is one I've seen several times, but I never owned a copy, and I'm pleased to finally add the disc to my 70s sci-fi library. Now all I need to do is pick up a copy of Silent Running (another glaring hole in my collection)....

• Stats: We're up to 467 "likes' over on the Space: 1970 Facebook page and 220 "followers" here on Blogger. As always, thanks for your support. It's pleasant to work on something that other people seem to get so much enjoyment from.

8 comments:

  1. On behalf of the gang, here, I'll make ya a deal...

    You keep writin', and we'll keep readin'.

    Tex
    (sound good to you?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten all about Journey To The Far Side of The Sun. I remember really digging that movie when I was a kid. Be interested to hear how it holds up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Journey To The Far Side of The Sun and if I recall correctly,some models from UFO get used though with different window dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Journey... If you're an Anderson fan, you'll probably like this film. It does sort of have a UFO feel to it, with a dash of 2001. If you're not an Anderson fan... well, the pace is a bit uneven (pretty slow at times) and the science is dodgy at best, so suspend your disbelief and just go with it. The SFX are superb for their day, but I'm a sucker for old school... nothing beats model work when it's well made.

    For what it's worth, this movie is one of the first I have conscious recollection of watching... I guess it was when I was around three years old. Not that it's the first movie I EVER saw, but it's one of the first I REMEMBER seeing. (It ties with Duel for that honor.)

    Finally, I actually have this on Laser Disc, but never found the DVD version. I thought it was out of production...

    CR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved Journey... haven't seen it in an age, though, and I can't yet let myself spare the cash to pick up the DVD. The model work was fantastic, as I recall - especially the rocket launch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got my discs yesterday. I LOVED Journey. Yeah, it's definitely deliberately paced, but the miniature effects and production design are awesome and the Barry Gray score is fantastic.

    I didn't see any models that resembled anything on UFO, specifically, but the cars and George Sewell's handgun definitely reappeared on the later program. (Not to mention, a large chunk of the cast!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pre-titles sequence with Herbert Lom has got to be one of the best openings to any movie ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the heads up on Hunter Prey, as I had not even heard of it. But its now ordered so roll on postal system!

    ReplyDelete