Saturday, February 12, 2011

News: TRON (1982) on Blu-Ray in April

The groundbreaking original cyberspace epic from 1982, TRON, will be making its high-definition debut on Blu-Ray in April, released side-by-side with the much bally-hooed 2010 sequel, TRON Legacy (which I still have not seen, dammit).

A lot of online articles are making it sound like the original movie will only be available as part of various expensive combo packages with the sequel, but that's not the case.  TRON - The Original Classic will also be available individually, as a Blu-Ray/DVD pack.

This remastered, 1080p HD edition will also include the following bonus materials:  An audio commentary, Photo Tronology (BD-exclusive), and featurettes on The TRON Phenomenon, The Making of TRON, Development, Digital Imagery, Music, Publicity Gallery, Deleted Scenes, Design, Storyboards, etc. 

The disc is available for pre-order now, of course: Tron: The Original Classic (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo)

4 comments:

  1. Great news! I saw Tron (original) on it's original theatrical run back in the early 80's so it's one of those films that holds a special place for me. When the new Tron came out I wanted to buy the DVD of the original but I found that it was out of print and going for up to 200 dollars on both Ebay and Amazon! This release should fix that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the original TRON DVD Special Edition when it came out a few years ago. I hadn't seen the film since its 1982 theatrical run, and I was surprised how well it held up - at least for me. I think it's a solid adventure story set in an intriguingly different world, and a lot of fun.

    I haven't seen the sequel yet, but I'll pick it up on Blu-Ray in April.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christopher, other than its obvious state-of-the-art FX gloss, TRON: LEGACY offers little to viewers. It was a charm-free bore and more or less a remake of the far superior original. I know you'll likely see it out of curiosity, but you won't miss much if you decide to give it a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot of bashing about Legacy but I loved it!!! The storyline is thin but it's all about the visuals and the pumping music score that totally pulled me into another world. Had a hard time landing back into reality when it was finished, because i wanted to stay in..

    ReplyDelete