Monday, July 18, 2016

Captain's bLog: 0718.16

Return Of The Blogger:  Wow. I haven't posted a "Captain's bLog" entry since November, 2014. Of course, I haven't posted to the blog much at all for the last couple of years, though I've never completely abandoned it. Working on this blog has always been a labor of love for me, but after six years of fairly regular posting, it eventually became a bit harder to justify the time I spent on the blog.

There are a number of reasons for this; most prominently, I've been spending more of my time on my comic book writing. Time and energy spent writing posts about Battlestar Galactica, Planet Of The Apes, Ark II and The Incredible Hulk was time I wasn't spending on writing comic book scripts, publisher pitches or short stories.

Additionally, a couple years back, my state lawmakers made it so that I could no longer earn money through Amazon referrals, and while I never made significant cubits that way, the payments that I did receive at least helped amortize the time spent on 70s sci-fi nostalgia. Every once in a while, generous readers made donations to the site, and I always tried to pay back their kindness with extra content, but such contributions were few and far between.

I also had some discouraging feedback that undercut my enthusiasm for retro blogging, such as a fairly vicious comment thread on Reddit where my passion for this subject matter was savaged and I was accused of being a sexist monster for the "Space Babes" feature. Perhaps I shouldn't have, but I took it personally.

Still, as I mentioned before, I never completely abandoned this blog, posting occasionally when the mood struck or I found something cool I really wanted to share, or had a relevant news item to post.

Ultimately, I'm still here... and I'm pondering ways to increase the frequency of updates here on the blog and ways to refresh and "reboot" the site. I'm considering opening the blog up to occasional "guest posts" from other Star Kids (if you're interested, drop me a line at atomicpulp@gmail.com), and will probably start posting capsule reviews of the few Space: 1970-era television shows that still are not commercially available in the U.S., like Project U.F.O. and The Fantastic Journey. Look for more "Fave Fives" and "Hall of Fame" posts, as well.

Justifying my time on the blog (and, thus, away from my other writing) is still a concern, but I received a very generous donation from a Space: 1970 fan this weekend, so I'll be making a sincere effort to publish more frequent blog updates throughout August and September.

Sometime soon, look for a review of a rarely-seen 1981 fantasy telefilm and a new "Fave fives" post.

Thanks to all of you who haven't given up on Space: 1970. Your patience and support is appreciated.

Shameless plug: Perils On Planet X in print!  Over the past few years, I've occasionally mentioned my comic, Perils On Planet X. Originally serialized online, the entire, three-issue pulp space opera miniseries was officially published earlier this year under my own Atomic Pulp imprint, and is now available in print via mail order from IndyPlanet.

Each issue is 32 full-color pages, printed on high-quality, heavy paper stock. All three issues are also available as digital downloads, for those who prefer to read comics electronically.

If you're a fan of stuff like John Carter of Mars, Flash Gordon or Blackstar, you might enjoy Perils.  It's got monsters, rayguns, jetpacks, swordplay, sexy lady sky pirates, and a beautiful space princess. I'd appreciate it if you checked it out.

Space: 1970 Wants You: I've always been open to - and grateful for - submissions from my readers. Now I want to outright encourage you folks to send me any cool Space: 1970-era stuff you might think would be interesting to your fellow Star Kids. Rare photos and production art, behind-the-scenes stills, nominations for "Space Babes" or Reader Polls, pretty much anything, really. Hell, even if you'd like to write a Guest Post, just e-mail me. I'll do my best to credit any contributions I use, of course.

33 comments:

  1. The internet is a large and mixed bag....as is real life :)

    Don't let the negative stuff get you down. Unfortunately it's an inevitable consequence of being having an online presence.

    Chin up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep them going. I love this site and is a regular stop of mine digging older posts of films that will be released soon on bluray or that I want to know more about. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in a similar place with my own blog of late -- too many things to do, not enough hours in the day. That said, I would like to see this one continue, when you can manage it. It's good to have an ally when it comes to this era, which seems to losing more respect and presence in the collective consciousness with every passing day. :/

    As for the negative stuff... seriously, you got called a sexist for "Space Babes?" I like to think of myself as a progressive, but I seriously don't understand where complaints like that come from... and as for your passion, screw 'em. You like what you like and shouldn't have to apologize, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a longtime reader and appreciate your site and the articles you post. If it weren't for your efforts, I wouldn't have learned of many great dvd's or past movies of interest. I'm glad you've decided to soldier on continue posting. I'll echo the comments of others by saying ignore the unhappy people and keep doing what you love. Life is too short for Reddit trolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, your honest enthusiasm for this stuff is a total pleasure, not just for you, but for many of us out here. Someone actually called you sexist for the Space Babes? Seriously? Astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of women won't put up with this kind of thing anymore, especially with all of the attention on how there are not enough women in action-adventure/SF&F movies and TV shows, so they lash out (a Babe of The Week thread was shut down at Trek BBS/Trek Today a while ago due to fears of sexism.)

      Chris, just keep going on and don't let people get to you; these ladies are causing people to tune out what they like to say in a big way.

      Delete
  6. We understand how it goes.
    As for the negative comments- It has always struck me as bizarre the number of self-appoint fools that make it their business to mind someone else's. You blog stands or dies by it's own content and your readership. That so many of us still check here daily for when you do blog- that speaks for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice post! keep at it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christopher this blog containing your ongoing thoughts and honest opinions is immensely appreciated. I am always visiting here to see what you are thinking about.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the update!I totally understand how things get in the way of blog upkeep - the same thing is happening to me! But you do have fans, I'm one of them, and I love your content!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting Post; The hardest thing I find is threads start years apart and then years later you find it, not intentionally but you do. By that time is an old thread void of any reason to review or continue forward. I watched the video of Lou Schwimmer, (spelling) thought of writing to him and then of course you find, his video was years ago and in 2013 he passed away.

    I am a veteran of both Persian Gulf war and Afghanistan, had to take a life, and have several dead friends..., it is what it is. I think back to a time when we had hope and vision as a country, and as a kid thinking about my first job, getting a drivers license, a girlfriend etc... Its a shame this POS flamed you for your posts, too bad he/she had nothing better to do. I've been on you tube watched Ark II, Starlost, Space 1999 a couple of others. It was nice. Sure it was silly, probably doesn't make a lot of sense, but yes Fabulous.

    I have a shop available to me in New Mexico, tools, engines, transmissions sitting on pallets, core vehicles. I want to build an ARK II, put one on the road. Might be stupid, might be pointless, but I am American, I can do it. How do we fund it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The politically correct extreme left wing has been on a witch hunt for everyone in the past couple of years, don't let it get to you. If anything, the exposure might inadvertently bring a lot more favourable attention to your website. Also, don't apologize about the frequency of your posts, we understand. Space:1970 will always be in our favourite bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your stuff, don't stop- I'm a long time follower. Space Babes can kick the Blue Meanies' arses any day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does anybody have a link to this particular Reddit forum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It showed up in my referrals months ago. I didn't bookmark it for obvious reasons.

      It was the accusation of sexism that really wounded me.

      Delete
    2. That sucks, but your longtime readers know that's not true. We know you're one of the good ones!

      Delete
  14. Great site. I lived in Waterville from 1980-1987, so if you ever went to that movie theater we probably sat through some of the same movies. Of course that theater is gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Speaking as a female who has followed this blog for a few years, I never had a problem with your Space Babe posts. Honest appreciation and enthusiasm is not sexist!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great blog. I was born in 1970 and sci-fi was always a part of my life and all ways will be. Your blog brings back memories of past experiences I had almost forgotten. As far as the SJW are concerned... screw them. Keep on, keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seeing as how science fiction (and horror for that matter) routinely depicts strong, capable women in fantastical contexts that you just don't get anywhere else, especially starting around the 1970s, it's a shame that some people can't tolerate an honest appreciation of that. Those who complain about this I imagine also unironically complain about Kylo Ren being a "Mary Sue" because she fits into the tradition of these capable, female sci-fi characters.

    How are we supposed to have our brave new future as promised when we were kids when everything is such a big problem to someone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I meant Rey, not Kylo Ren. Shows how much attention I was paying! Man, that movie made me feel past it...

      Delete
  18. I almost never comment on ANYTHING on the internet, good or bad. But let me just add my voice to those who love seeing this blog. I come back to it every now and then to see the posts and it never fails to bring a smile to my face as a kid who grew up in the 70's and 80's. It seems you can't do anything on the internet these days without someone complaining about it. Heck with em. This blog is cool. Keep up the good work, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chris please keep posting I have been a fan of this site for years its rocks screw the bastards on the web with their negative BS
    Best Sir

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a regular visitor too, this is one of the few blogs I've bookmarked. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just wanted to chime in and say I fully love your blog and really appreciate what you do here.

    Please don't let some uptight SJW's get you down. There are always going to be those groups that want to demonize healthy sexuality. You just have to ignore them and keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Chris, just a few words from a french fan... I am 50 now but your site gives me back fragments of my youth...
    Amitiés,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have long enjoyed your site since I, too, loved many of the TV shows and movies you have highlighted. No problem with Space Babes. Good looking females have been part of science fiction since Deja Thoris (1911) and Wilma Deering (1929). If there wasn't a cute girl involved, most of our stalwart space heroes would have stayed home. Where's the fun in that? Besides, I notice they didn't cast a hag to play the lead in "The Force Awakens."

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found a couple interesting articles from October 1976 that might be of interest to you. This one is about how more sci-fi films are due out in the coming years. Interesting that Disney had The Black Hole planned that far back and given the name "Space Probe 1"

    https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=wD5PAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UQIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6582%2C5614942

    And this is about the introduction of Maya on Space:1999. It says that Season 2 would start airing that month in the USA. I swear I saw in another paper that the first episode of season 2 "The Metamorph" had a preview airing in July of 76.

    https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=wD5PAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UQIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5895%2C5637854

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hate blogs to be honest. But I love this one and this site in general. It really speaks to me, so thank you for it. As for Reddit, that place is a toxic cesspool. Your true supporters will be right here.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Keep up the good, CM. You are definitely appreciated.

    Idea for a future episode: Soundtracks of that era.
    Neil Norman, Jeff Wayne, Barry Gray, Goldsmith, et al.

    ReplyDelete
  27. sorry being late to the party, but your blog has always been one of my favorite corners of the internet. the big smile to post ratio is sky high.So thanks for doing way more than your share to keep the magic and awe of that special era alive.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Chris,

    I've just come across your site and it's like it was made for me, I'm yet another retro TV sci-fi nerd. I'm really looking forward to browsing through it whenever I have a little free time. You've done great work and put in a lot of effort and soul.

    Like others have said here, please ignore the haters. It's so easy for them to criticize and bitch and moan anonymously, unfortunately the internet is full of it. Screw them and their empty lives, you have a lot of fans.

    This stranger thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whoa! Somehow I missed this post last summer, Chris! Your work on this blog is MUCH appreciated and adored. I'm glad you'll be back at it--and even if it's sparsely, that's okay!

    ReplyDelete