Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Original Frazetta BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (1978) TV Guide Ads

A couple months ago, when I was going back through the entire blog replacing images that had disappeared, I realized that I had never posted these first three Battlestar Galactica ads, published in TV Guide in 1978 to support the premiere ("Saga Of A Star World") and subsequent two-part follow-up ("Lost Planet Of The Gods"). One of my first posts on this blog did showcase Frank Frazetta's original paintings for this ad campaign, but I never got around to scanning and posting the actual advertisements that I clipped and saved back when I was 15.

I did scan and post several of the other Galactica ads, and even Frazetta's for "War Of The Gods," but missed these - and then, I was without a functioning scanner for a year or so, and apparently forgot that I'd missed them.

Anyway, I've got a new, working scanner now, so I'm remedying the situation. Click on the images for slightly larger views.

I'm planning on having 2012's first Space Babe posted before the end of the week, and will hopefully fall back into regular posting again as the month goes on. Happy New Year!

9 comments:

  1. I've always liked the second painting/ad. "Yoga pants....IN SPAAAAACE!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the hot, Colonial gal supposed to be Bathsheba? Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first of these was used as a cover for the second Battlestar Galactica novel -- The Cyclon Death Machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These illustrations were probably commissioned months before filming actually took place. So Frazetta probably only had vague, scripted guide lines to work from. Saying that he really rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, this brings back memories. I used to love TV Guide ads as a wee one. I couldn't wait for Galactica to air, and was on cloud nine afterwards. Just wanted to get through the week for each subsequent episode. Still have some drawings of vipers and raiders I did around that time. Thanks a bundle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, I think we've got our first Spacebabes for 2012 right there in pic 2. What a stellar selection of intergalactic bottoms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been fond of those Frazetta/Galactica paintings. Too bad someone at Universal or ABC never thought of selling them as posters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. High quality prints of Frazetta's Battlestar Galactica artwork have been available from Frazetta himself for years. You can probably still order them thru his official website.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glorious. Really amazing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete