Monday, January 9, 2012

Captain's bLog: 0109.12

For various reasons that I've addressed previously, my Space: 1970 blogging dropped off a bit over the last couple of months. To my surprise, the site still managed a fair amount of new traffic during November and December, and my recent post of those Frank Frazetta TV Guide ads for Battlestar Galactica (which I had the foresight to clip and save back in the Fall of 1978!) got linked to by SyFy's "Blastr" site and the Retroist blog, among others, which brought a surge of new visitors to S:70 just this past week. In fact, the last four days have had, by far, the highest number of unique visitors and page views to date. I hope that some of these new folks hang around.

  The last Space: 1970 Poll, posted waay back on November 4th, asked the immortal question: "Should Space: 1970 cover the superhero shows/films of the 1970s, as well as sci-fi?"

Well, the answer was a resounding, "Yes!" Of 203 votes cast by blog visitors, a whopping 176 were in favor of me adding 70s super-hero fare like The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, Shazam! and Isis, and Superman: The Movie to the mix here on the site. I still have my reservations (it feels like I might be opening something of a Pandora's Box), but I can't ignore such unbridled enthusiasm from the S:70 faithful. I'll start working on integrating our favorite costumed crusaders into the site over the next couple of months....

I finally saw Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, and enjoyed it enough to pick up the Blu-ray and add it to my Apes collection. I still prefer the original movies, but I admit that Rise turned out to be a much better flick than I had initially anticipated. I'm still not a huge fan of mo-cap/CGI characters, but in this particular case, it worked well enough. I did enjoy the clever references to the original film cycle, of course.

  Support Space: 1970: The site now has more than 350 "followers" here on Blogger, and the S:70 Facebook fan page is up to over 770 "likes." My sincere appreciation to everyone for their support! I also want to thank everyone who have used the Amazon links on this site to make purchases of vintage sci-fi on DVD/Blu-ray (and the few who've made Paypal donations - if you'd like to contribute, there's a link in the right-hand sidebar). Every little bit helps.

  Shameless Self-Promotion: Anyone who enjoys my writing and reviews on this site should check out my DVD Late Show site, where I have been reviewing B-movies, cult films and genre television shows on DVD and Blu-ray disc since 2005. Among the over 700 reviews are plenty of Space: 1970-era favorites, like Battle Beyond The Stars, Damnation Alley, Starcrash, The Starlost, the Space: 1999 Blu-rays, and many more.

That's it for now. January's Space Babe will be posted shortly....

3 comments:

  1. I just found this site recently, but it's a lot of fun and cool retro stuff. I like it!

    And that Starship Invasions poster is nice... very nice! In a number of ways. I'll leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have reservations as well about superhero coverage on the site. After all, the name of the place is "SPACE:1970", NOT "Long Underwear:1970".

    But it's not a deal breaker for me.

    Looking forward to January's Space Babe!

    Tex
    (AND the 2nd Space:1970 podcast)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I voted for superhero coverage, I can understand Christopher's concerns. If there is one TV genre that has less respect than sci-fi, it's the superhero show. I love the 1960s "Batman," but it bothers me a little that, forty years later, you can't read an article about superheroes on TV without a reference to "Bam! Pow! Bop!"

    Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing posts about "The Incredible Hulk" and "Amazing Spider-Man" (one of my guilty pleasures for many, many years!)

    ReplyDelete