Monday, July 16, 2012

ARK II (1976) Vintage Video Art

Click To Enlarge
It's difficult to find much memorabilia from the Filmation live-action sci-fi shows. As far as I can tell, none of them got domestic releases on VHS (and if I'm wrong, please let me know - and send scans!). Space Academy did get some action figures (again, I'd love some good pix), and Jason Of Star Command did get one tie-in kid's novel (which I hope to have on my shelf before the end of the week - but that's about it. They came and went just too damned fast for any real exploitation by toymakers and other licensors. As far as I know, all that Ark II got was a Halloween costume... and a Swedish VHS release.

What a shame. Can you imagine how cool model kits of the Ark II, Seeker, Space Academy, or Drago's Dragonship would have been?  Or a Ark II vehicle toy with action figures of Jonah, Ruth, Samuel and Adam so you could reenact their post-Apocalyptic adventures in your backyard?

Anyway, the colorful artwork for that Swedish videotape appears above. Oddly, there are no good shots of the Ark II itself on the video sleeve; apparently the jetpack - and Roamer - were considered more of a selling point.

2 comments:

  1. Space Academy figure ad...

    http://plaidstallions.blogspot.com/2011/06/space-academy-by-aviva.html

    "Space Academy did get some action figures (again, I'd love some good pix)..."

    Your pix, sir...

    http://www.megolike.com/aviva.htm

    Tex
    (the geek Jim Rockford)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would have loved to have had Ark II toys. I still watch the DVD fairly often. Keep hoping my kids will like it too, but that hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete