Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Envelope, Please....

And... the results of our most recent Space: 1970 Reader's Poll are in!

A week or so ago, I posed the musical question: "Which 70's LIVE ACTION Super-hero Show Or TV Movie Was YOUR Favorite?" For the purposes of this poll, I excluded "on the cusp" characters like bionic Steve Austin & Jaime Sommers and Atlantean Mark Harris, and chose to limit the choices to a.) characters directly derived from super-hero comic books (including the non-costumed Hulk), and b.) characters that had distinct super-hero identities/costumes (i.e. Isis, Electra Woman).

With an astounding 291 votes cast, the winner is: The Incredible Hulk, with an even One Hundred votes! I voted for The Hulk, myself; not only was it a terrifically fun show, the Bill Bixby-Lou Ferrigno series was one of the most successful genre shows of the decade.

In the early days of balloting, the Green Goliath was running neck-and-neck with second-place winner, The New Adventures of Wonder Woman, starring the eternally-beautiful Lynda Carter. WW ultimately ended up with a very respectable 74 votes. In fact, for the first half of the week, the two CBS shows were never separated by more than a single vote. But sometime around last Thursday, the Hulk received a boost of Gamma radiation, I guess, and surged ahead to victory.

Tying for third place were the Saturday morning classic, Shazam! and prime-time's The Amazing Spider-Man, with 23 votes apiece. To my delight, every nominated show garnered at least a couple of votes, even that goofy Hanna-Barbara Legend Of The Super-Heroes! I was genuinely surprised to find Isis so low in the tabulations - even Electra Woman & Dyna Girl beat the Egyptian goddess by a single vote!

Thanks to everyone who participated! Keep visiting the site - you never know when I might post another Space: 1970 Poll!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Chris for doing this Poll Im glad Hulk won all the seasons were amazing but I really love the New Adventures of Wonder Woman on CBS Season 2,3 which I own I never cared for the 1st Season from ABC set in WWII

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Wonder Woman was not in the mix both Isis and Electra Woman would have performed better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I voted for Wonder Woman, but expected the Incredible Hulk to win. Your poll prompted me to rent the Hulk on DVD. I watched the pilot and first episode last week. It's still a great show. I also liked Isis, so maybe I'll rent that one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I denounce this poll. Wonder Woman always wins.

    ReplyDelete