Saturday, July 28, 2012

Behind-The-Scenes Pix #23: THE STARLOST

Not the most exciting or dramatic of Behind-The-Scenes photos, I admit, but considering it's from the 1973 Canadian series, The Starlost, I was amazed to find it. I believe this is from the "Space Precinct" episode, and the cramped set really shows what limited resources the low budget production had at its disposal.

I've admitted before that I actually enjoy The Starlost for what it is. Sure, it's not the show it should have or could have been; Harlan Ellison's concept (while not especially original) had tons of potential for a thoughtful, episodic science fiction series. Unfortunately, the bitter reality of economics left that potential unfulfilled, though I'm not sure that any TV production company in '73 could have really pulled it off to Ellison's satisfaction. It is a shame that the Canadian producers couldn't find more writers with actual experience in sci-fi, or secure a bigger budget - but as nonsensical and cheap as it may be, I still enjoy watching episodes on DVD every once in a while.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every decade has shows that work and shows don't. Fans often seem to defend shows from the period when they got into the genre. Sometimes it turns into the "they don't make them like they used to" mentality.
    The Starlost had it's problems with budget, scripts and acting. However I think they tried. The overall storyline had potential and many of the episodes did as well. I liked that they tried to put in elements that show how the isolated societies went in their own directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. This show has so much potential, it could be redone now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you don't like snark about the old shows, but by golly if that doesn't look like they're setting up to film a 1970s PBS cooking show instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like this show. So, I guess that I am in the minority. However, I will agree with the guy above... it does look the the set of a cooking show! Still, I really enjoy The Starlost.

    ReplyDelete