Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Models: BUCK ROGERS (1979)

As promised, here are snaps of some of the classic 1970s spaceship models I built as a teenager. I thought I'd spread 'em out over multiple posts and showcase them by series. Today, obviously, is Buck Rogers in the 25th Century day. This built-up Monogram "Starfighter" has held-up fairly well - I only had to re-attach one of the engines, which had fallen off. It still looks pretty good, too. Somehow, I managed to get the decals applied successfully, and it also helped that this particular ship required a minimum of painting - although I probably should have done some detailing on the cockpit interior. I know that the Hartland SFX guys called this ship the "Thunder Fighter," but I don't recall it ever being called anything but a "Starfighter" on the show....

Of all of my old models, it appears that the Monogram "Marauder" has actually held up the best. No broken parts, all of the decals are intact and pretty much perfectly placed - hell, for some reason, it was even less dusty than the others. I always liked this Draconian ship (sometimes called a "Hatchet Fighter" on the show), with its odd lines and oversized cockpit. It doesn't look very realistic (there really doesn't seem to be much space for the engine, fuel, etc.), but it sure does look cool.

More photos to come.

8 comments:

  1. The two designs also look recognizably from different cultures/species, while still beholden to the same physical laws/design requirements.

    Plus the Earth Directorate fighter is just tight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Thunder Fighter is in my top 5 ship designs ever! It is a wicked cool looking piece of tech!

    dusty abell

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do know that it was the original design for the Battlestar Galactica "Viper," right?

    http://battlestargalactica.me/outside_docs/cylonorg_doc002.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! I too love the Marauder. In fact I swiped my cousin's toy when I was 8. He didn't care for it much and my aunt thought it was mine anyway because I was playing with it so much.

    It's definitely got a unique silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh, I always thought the Marauders were "hatchet fighters"

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I said above, that's what they were usually called on the show, but the model kit called it "Marauder."

    http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/misc/wirzmaupreview.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's neat Chris, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice builds Chris and it's great to see that your models have survived the years. My oldest built kits only go back to the mid 90's.

    ReplyDelete