Friday, July 16, 2010

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW: INTO INFINITY (1975)

Into Infinity was a television movie produced by Gerry Anderson between seasons of Space: 1999. It starred Nick Tate and was written and directed by 1999 veterans Johnny Byrne and Charles Crichton, respectively. The effects were handled by Brian Johnson and the 1999 team.

The story chronicled the flight of the Earth spaceship Altares, which was crewed by two families (including children) and was capable of traveling at the speed of light courtesy of its unique photon drive. At the climax, the Altares passes through a black hole to an uncertain - and unrevealed - fate.

The film - sometimes described as a pilot for an unsold series - aired in the U.S. as part of the NBC Special Treat series of irregularly scheduled educational specials, and was designed to dramatize Einstein's theory of relativity for young viewers. I remember watching it when it originally aired and my ten year-old self was utterly fascinated by it, probably because of the excellent miniature work and special effects (evident in the clip below).

It's one of a number of genre obscurities I remember from my childhood that I'd like to see again, but I don't believe it has ever been released on video or even re-run.



ADDENDUM: I have been informed that Into Infinity is available on DVD - exclusively from Fanderson: The Gerry Anderson Appreciation Society, paired with pilot for the producer's 90s series, Space Precinct. The disc appears to be Region 0, so if you live in the States and can afford the shipping, it should play on NTSC/R1 players.

12 comments:

  1. I remember watching this. For some reason, "You'll see it turn red!" has always stuck in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of this as the New Horizons probe flew past Pluto. Toward the beginning of the program, after they have completed their acceleration to near light speed, the girl is watching the planet (as it was known then) Pluto, blue shifted as they approached, red shifted as they pulled away. As they draw away from it, she says sadly,"Goodbye Pluto, Good bye Solar System"

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of this and I thought I had seen all of Gary Andersons stuff. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing that one Saturday teatime on the BBC. I recall very little of it, I admit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 70s sci-fi TV had some great music didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 41 years, big anderson fan and a sci-fi nut.......I NEVER HEARD OF THIS!
    off to go track down a copy now, thanks for the awesome heads up. fantastic model work and another fun Barry Gray score i imagine.

    dusty abell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Derek Wadsworth composed the music for this, I believe. It has a "Year 2" sort of vibe to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christopher is right. Derek Wadsworth and Steve Coe composed the great score to this. I sure remember it from NBC's Special Treat series. I (audio) taped it at the time and, although I haven't listened to it in many decades, I can still remember the score. If you are a 1999 fan, this is a must. One of these days this will get a proper release.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got a copy of THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW: INTO INFINITY from a generous Space: 1970 reader, so I'll be writing up a full review here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, I LOVED THIS. I was so excited to see it. I have kept my eye out for it for years. L love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Screened tonight on BBC4 Brian Cox night. Nice rarity, great visuals for its time.

    ReplyDelete