Wednesday, July 21, 2010

News: SPACE: 1999 Year 1 Blu-Rays Available for Pre-Order

It looks like A&E Home Video is preparing a Region 1 HD Blu-Ray edition of Space: 1999 - Season 1.

Amazon.com is taking pre-orders already (see the link below) for a 6-disc set that the package describes as "complete, uncut and restored in high definition." Amazon's listing does not indicate a release date yet - it only says that "This title has not yet been released. You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives." Suggested Retail Price is apparently $99.95, but Amazon is pre-selling it at the discounted price of $69.95.

Either way, it's still too steep for me. I'm going to have to read some extremely positive reviews of the transfers before I'll shell out that sort of cash to buy the series for a third time. I'm not really convinced that a show shot for 1970s television resolution really needs to be presented at 1080p HD - hell, even a standard DVD betrays an awful lot of Brian Johnson's otherwise exemplary effects work by showing the wires supporting the miniatures. Of course, if someone wanted to buy it for me, I wouldn't object....

Preorder: Space: 1999: The Complete Season One [Blu-ray]

4 comments:

  1. I had planned on getting the series on DVD but never got around to it. I don't care if you can see the faults in the special effects. I want to feel like I'm right there on the set as they filmed it and HD, in my opinion, gives you that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt even HD could improve series 2 !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, it's 2010. I don't know why they don't just do digital wire removal. I was hoping for that with, let's say, Forbidden Planet, which otherwise has flawless FX.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, if you ever have the need to recycle some of your media try www.swapadvd.com They also have related sites: www.swapabook.com and www.swapacd.com It's fairly easy to do although I wish the initial start up was five items rather than ten, but I guess they want inventory to get the business going. Plus if you join one of the other sites, you can exchange credits from either site.

    Re: Digital wire removal, I never thought of that, but probably not cost effective enough for the last remainder of fans of these type series.

    ReplyDelete