Monday, June 6, 2016

The Official BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Scrapbook (1978)

One of several Galactica book tie-ins from 1978, James Neyland's Official Battlestar Galactica Scrapbook was a reasonably in-depth look at the making of the "Saga Of A Star World" pilot film, and featured tons of cool stills from the show (including an 8-page "cosmic color" photo insert).

The book includes interviews with Glen Larson, John Dykstra, costume designer Jean-Pierre Dorleac, and pilot director Richard Colla, as well as extensive background on all the major cast members and the characters they portrayed.

There's a lot of stuff crammed into its 104 pages, but the one note that always stuck in my head was the revelation that the much-derided Colonial motorcycles seen in the Galactica: 1980 spin-off were actually planned to be part of the heroes' land transportation "fleet" as early as the planning of the pilot!

I still have my copy of this book sitting on my film/TV reference shelves, although it is, admittedly, a bit scuffed and dented after all these years.

(Yes, I have mentioned this book here on the blog before, but thought it worth revisiting.)

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, I must be the only one that liked G80, even now I enjoy it more that the first season lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starlog offered this tantalizing book back in the day (along with the blueprints, Encyclopedia Galactica and the iron-on transfer book) and this Star Kid sure wanted it. Took me a long time to finally get my hands on a nice copy. Definitely an early tie-in publication, focusing on the first three episodes produced (Saga, Gun on Ice Planet Zero and Lost Planet of the Gods). Sadly, it predicts a long and happy run for the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My copy is signed by almost the entire cast. My Father was the studio chef (who did the BSG food featured in TV Guide you had posted some time ago). He got a copy and it got passed around to everybody at a wrap party to sign for me. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete