Friday, September 16, 2016

BUCK ROGERS on CD

A couple years ago, Intrada released two multi-disc CD collections of incidental music from both seasons of Buck Rogers In The 25th Century. The two volumes represent pretty much all of the original musical cues composed by Stu Phillips, Johnny Harris, Les Baxter, Bruce Broughton and several others for the 1979-80 NBC space opera series.

They've gotten a bit hard to find, and are expensive when you do, but they come highly recommended, as they transport you back to Buck's 25th century and provide hours of nostalgic listening.

Today's post, though, is primarily to showcase the gorgeous cover art by Paul Shipper. They're great illustrations.

6 comments:

  1. https://www.behance.net/gallery/11510907/Buck-Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Christopher !

    The name of the artist is Paul Shipper.
    Here's a link :

    http://paulshipperstudio.com/blog/2013/10/16/buck-rogers-cd-cover-art


    Au revoir !

    Sylvain, a Sci-Fi fan from France !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to pick these up, along with that Australian Blu-ray edition of the whole series with all the features. Great show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to have these but they're too pricey for me. I did manage to get Intrada's release of the film score by Stu Phillips, which is basically the 1979 LP on CD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Until I read your comment that these CD sets were "a bit hard to find", I didn't realise that Intrada had sold out of all their copies. Which is good news, and I'm glad I got mine when I did. To be honest, I find a lot of the music of the second series very worthy but dull to listen to. I prefer the pop flavoured ones of the first series.

    Interesting to note - given the sell-out of both sets at Intrada - that they apparently have no interest in revisiting the first series and releasing the remaining music by people like Michael Melvoin and J J Johnson. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have both of these and I agree with Simes. The first season CDs are off the chart (Some of it actually sounds like Michael Breckers 1970s jazz fusion albums). The second season is good incidental music, but (for me) it doesn't really lend itself to listening very well. Yes, it is great when it goes along with the show, but the grooves, the jazz melodies and down right funkiness of the first season is sorely lacking.

    ReplyDelete