Monday, March 21, 2016

Kelly Freas STAR TREK Portfolio (1976)

In 1976, legendary science fiction illustrator, Frank Kelly Freas, published the Star Trek Portfolio, featuring gorgeous charcoal portraits of the officers of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Needless to say, it's a highly-desired collectible these days.

Beginning in 1950, Freas provided the covers to hundreds of science fiction and fantasy magazines, including Weird Tales, Planet Stories, Astounding Science Fiction (and Analog), among many others. In the field of genre paperbacks, he created cover illustrations for DAW, Signet, Ballantine Books, Avon, all 58 Laser Books (which are now collectors' items), and over 90 covers for Ace books alone. He provided many covers for MAD Magazine, artwork for NASA's Skylab program, and in the Eighties, for numerous gaming publications. He also painted the cover to Queen's classic LP, News of the World, and was the first person to win ten Hugo Awards.

He passed away in 2005.

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, I loved the way he drew/painted/made art too. I have a soft cover book (Paper Tiger, perhaps) of some of this more SF oriented artwork. It also contained a small art work he did along with the book printed on post card material. (I bought it used.) But yeah, great artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is some great-looking artwork. Most of the characters look spot-on, and I like the conjectural drawing of Scotty in a kilt with a beard. Spock looks a bit off, though. The Spock drawing reminds me of another '70s actor that I can't quite name at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several of them look "off-model" to me, i.e., they don't really resemble the actors (Kirk and Spock, in particular), but he seems to capture some essence of the character that goes beyond "photo realism." I especially like Scotty, Uhura, and Sulu. Cool find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Used to own that. I miss all my Trek loot. Sometimes life sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm constantly surprised about what gems like this that are out there that I had no idea about. I've paid attention to Freas, even have a book around here featuring some of that great old work, but I never knew about these. Great images! Thanks.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time visitor. Just read your "About this blog". It's a shame that Charles Middleton, a.k.a. Ming the Merciless, does not fall within your timeframe. Keep up the good work. Bart Sorrentino

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heard of the artist but haven't seen the above work until now. I like that semi haiku and mid '60s style he did it in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a kid in the summer of 1976, I remember Freas appearing on an early afternoon locally produced interview show (I believe it was "People, Places, and Things" hosted by Becky Livas on Norfolk, Virginia's WTAR (now WTKR), channel 3. Freaks talked about and showed samples of his cover illustrations, and plugged this very Star Trek portfolio. I remember him saying that he tried to portray the characters as the actors appeared to him in 1976 and I remember him verbally describing Scotty appearing in the dress uniform and kilt with Jimmy Doohan's mid-seventies beard. I think the only physical example from the portfolio Freas brought with him to the studio was the portrait of Kirk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. McCoy was always my favorite, and I really like this McCoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Freas was always on of the best. I will always associate his artwork with Analog.
    The artwork looks typical. He caught the character of all of them. In some ways better than any photo would have done.
    jfwiw- Notice the only two with the extremely serious expressions are the two in Command track yellow - Kirk and Checkov.

    ReplyDelete