Thursday, April 14, 2016

News: FUTURE COP (1977) Now on DVD

Somehow I missed the announcement, but another short-lived 70s sci-fi series has come to DVD. Mill Creek Entertainment released the 1977 sci-fi police actioner, Future Cop - The Complete Series, last month.

Future Cop starred veterans Ernest Borgnine (The Black Hole) and John Amos as beat cops who are assigned to work with an android police officer named Haven, played by Michael Shannon.

The original pilot telefilm aired in 1976, and then in '77 ABC aired six episodes (including a two-part story, with both parts debuting back-to-back the same night) before cancelling the show. An eighth story was produced as a TV movie, airing on NBC in 1978 as a second "pilot" to try to get the show back on the air with a new network, but it didn't get picked up. The 2-disc DVD set contains all of the episodes, including the TV movies, and retails for around fifteen bucks, although Amazon currently has it for under $10.

I just ordered my copy!

5 comments:

  1. My local Wall-Mart was selling it for $7.50. I picked up my copy a few weeks back. I watched the pilot and the first series episode. I need to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The discs showed up in my mail today. Looking forward to watching this show again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never saw this back in the day, it's amazing how many American shows from the 70s & 80s never made it across the pond

    ReplyDelete
  4. This show seems to be the basis for Mann & Machine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann_%26_Machine).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I totally missed this short lived series as I was 7 years old when it debuted. It looks really interesting, and kinda corny, but I like corny humor shows from the 70's and 80's.

    ReplyDelete