Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Obit: Richard Lynch R.I.P.

I've just heard that the great Richard Lynch (or, as my wife called him, "Cat-Man"), the iconic face and voice of villainy in probably a hundred TV shows and movies, including many Space: 1970 favorites, has passed away at age 76. 

Among the many genre shows in which he was featured were Battlestar Galactica (as convict Wolfe in "The Gun On Ice Planet Zero"), Galactica: 1980 (as renegade scientist Xavier), Buck Rogers In The 25th Century (as Morgan Velosi, proprietor of the "Vegas In Space"), The Bionic Woman, and The Phoenix. He also portrayed various villains in films like Deathsport and The Sword And The Sorcerer. It's hard to find a mainstream adventure show in the 70s and 80s that he didn't guest on - he even made several appearances on Star Trek - The Next Generation. I have particularly fond memories of a 1979 TV movie, Vampire, in which he played the titular fiend.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Lynch.

10 comments:

  1. A memorable 'baddie' indeed. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, thats too bad, I'm sorry to hear he's passed, but we'll always have all those fun performances he turned in playing all those memorable characters throughout his career. I wish you would do a write up of Vampire, I totally tuned in for that one back in the day, going to go hit Youtube now to look for anything I can find on it! That and Michael Nouri's & Langella's turns as Dracula made for a pretty memorable year of vampires in 79'.................

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget Klaus Kinski in Herzog's Nosferatu and George Hamilton in Love AT First Bite, all '79.

    I don't have a copy of Vampire, unfortunately. I saw it back in '79 and sometime in the mid-80s on TV, but I haven't seen it since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SCORE!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AM6HOSBShw

    Great call on Kinski and Hamilton.... I still love Love at First Bite, frustrates me beyond belief that I Love The Night Life isn't included on the DVD!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...frustrates me beyond belief that I Love The Night Life isn't included on the DVD!!!!!!!!!

    Me, too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fitting tribute to a great actor. His name was simple, but his face and acting were unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He was so good in so many things. I remember him vividly from his turns in 80s TV shows and also Chuck Norris' Invasion USA. He was well liked in my household.

    ReplyDelete
  8. he was in a movie with al pacino and gene hackman, its called scsrecrow i think

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apparently Mr. Lynch was actually 72 at the time of his death. Or at least that's what the Wikipedia article says.

    Tosser

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynch was great in a super cop/action film The Seven Ups w/Roy Scheider as well. not sci-fi but still a killer movie.

    ReplyDelete