Tuesday, March 29, 2011

SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN (1976) TV Guide Art by Bob Peak

This vintage TV Guide cover sports a nice Six Million Dollar Man graphic by artist Bob Peak (and the more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that Peak did, indeed, also paint THIS Man From Atlantis cover).

For those of you too young to remember, the "Paper Panic" that the headline references was a non-existent toilet paper shortage that Johnny Carson joked about one night during his monologue on The Tonight Show. The next day, millions of viewers went out and bought up all the TP they could get their hands on... leading to a real shortage!

Ah... the 70s.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, I remember hanging onto that issue for years because of that cover art! I may even still have it in a box somewhere. And yes, I even remember the article explaining the toiler paper shortage. There are great works of literature and cinema I couldn't recall to save my life, but this I remember. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic piece of art! You can tell that this is completely hand drawn and that gives it a personality that modern computer generated art just doesn't have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TV Guide covers, like the rest of the magazine, were so much better back then. Who can forget the wonderful covers painted by Richard Amsel?

    ReplyDelete