Friday, March 11, 2011

BUCK ROGERS (1979) Burger King Promotional Poster

More vintage marketing artwork! I've been trying to find a better scan of this rather disco-y Burger King/Coca Cola promotional poster for the TV premiere of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, painted by an unknown (to me, anyway) artist, for a while now, but this is the best I could come up with. (NOTE: The image has now been updated with a much-superior scan!) There are many strange things about this poster, beginning with the composition. For another: who the hell is that woman? She looks nothing like Erin Gray!

Interestingly - well, I find it interesting, anyway - the figures of Buck and Twiki were recycled/repurposed for one of the TV Guide advertisement for Episode 2, "Planet of the Slave Girls," and that ad (apparently by the same artist, based on the style of the art) looks a lot better!

Thanks to Facebook Friend/Star Kid Traie Payne for the original scan and the head's up!

3 comments:

  1. I read on imdb.com's trivia on "Buck" that when the show went into production, it wasn't certain Erin Grey would stay on as Wilma Deering... I bet this artwork was part of that confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out in the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christopher, check this out:

    http://thistoysickness.blogspot.com/2011/03/random-house-buck-roger-pop-up-book.html

    Another Buck oddity this time on my own blog but I found it on the same forum as the BK poster. The Blog is in it's infancy but check back again soon :) Feel free to post the pic if you like

    ReplyDelete