Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hungarian STAR WARS Trilogy Posters

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
The Return Of The Jedi
Brilliant. Bizarre. These amazing, awesome, Hungarian Star Wars Trilogy posters were painted by artist Tibor Helényi.  I don't know if they accompanied the original theatrical releases or later cinematic or video re-issues, but they are just delightfully insane.

I discovered them over on Michael May's Adventureblog Annex - and he discovered them on the Monster Brains blog (a couple of cool sites that I highly recommend visiting, by the way). In any case, once I saw them, I had to raid those guys and share the scans here at Space: 1970How friggin' wild are these?!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that kinda reminds me of the liberties that they took on the Battle Beyond the Stars poster. Which may not be a bad thing to post, by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstandingly bombastic. I need to borrow these for a while to put on my blog. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve: If you have a scan of the Hungarian Battle poster (I assume that's what you mean), send it along. I've been compiling other foreign Battle poster scans for an upcoming post, and I haven't seen that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were made for the original theatrical releases. I live in Hungary, but I only first saw them when they were put on display in a cinema at the showing of one of the prequels. We thought that they were hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weird, but I like them a lot! Originality beats uniformity any day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That middle SW poster sure reminds me of some of Philippe Druillet's artwork. I don't know if he did it, but brilliant nonetheless: http://www.druillet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. As a Hungarian I met these for the 1st time here! They made three Hungarian comic books at the time Empire was presented in the early '80-s(SW vol. I-II. and TESB). They were made by heart, the drawers watched the movies a few times, wrote notes in the theater, got some pictures and they remade the story pretty well. I guess these posters were painted in a similar way after some photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way these are movie posters with the logo of the state-owned releasing company, there was no such thing as VHS in Hungary up till 1985-86.

    ReplyDelete